Tuesday 26 March 2013

Swept by Becca Lee Nyx

Swept (Swept Trilogy, #1)Swept by Becca Lee Nyx
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Swept is the story of three high school friends, Crystal, Ryan, and Kelly, going off to college together and their experiences therein. Focusing mainly on Crystal, the story is told in varying viewpoints going between her, Ryan, and the mysterious Gabriel. The storyline itself is a lot of fun with all the adventures of being on your own for the very first time.

I think this book has a lot of potential to be great, but I felt like it was missing some key elements. I would have loved to have more of the story and less of the random sex. Don't get me wrong, the sex scenes were amazingly hot, but they didn't seem to fit well into the story. If they would have been integrated as part of the storyline rather than having the story built around them, it would have flowed easier and fit better overall.

I also would have loved to have more background or insight on the characters. It was really hard for me to connect with them, and there were too many personality inconsistencies to make getting to know them possible. For example, in the beginning of the story Crystal is portrayed as the geeky, innocent, kind of the "good girl" of the group. Yet a few chapters later she is having sex with everyone and their roommate as well as making plans to string along two guys she doesn't want to have to choose between, neither of which she is in love with. There was no transition from the beginning Crystal to the end Crystal.

Overall, like I said there is a lot of potential in this story, and I think it could be great. It is a relatively short story, so elements could easily be added to it in order to flesh out the characters more and give them sustenance without making the story overly long.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment